2/24/2012

Expectations and Realities of a Second Childhood:

Expectations: I'm going to have a romping romance with the very first man I meet!

Reality: The first man you meet, post divorce or any other time in your life, is going to be a highly flawed individual such as yourself. He'll have good qualities and bad, but mostly he'll be human and it may not be so harlequin romance but more national geographic mixed with a bit of Nancy drew and Dr. Phil. Sorry.

Expectations: I'm going to come out of my skin and do lots of crazy things!!!! Like finally sky dive! Surfing! Skiing maybe!

Reality:

I'm going jay walk! I'm going to wear deodorant made for men! I'm going to eat all his girl scout cookies! I'm going sleep on the bus to work! I'm going to make my music slightly loud at twelve o'clock at night but then feel really guilty and read a book on cognitive behavior therapy, the one on the book shelf next to how to free yourself of co dependency. Yeah. That book. Pathetic excuse for a second childhood, really.

Expectation: Every man I look at seems to want me, oh la la! I'm finally going to have that emotional and passionate relationship, come easily! And the kissing will be awesome, too!

Reality: Many men you date had that one thing in mind with little to no emotional connection to you. Though many men wanted both. Many deeply wanted both. But, no, the emotional and physical connection often does not balance out easily at all.

In the end, it's all called life and we try to deal as best we possible can with or without that nice big, shiny, cool, neat, gigantic, floppy, motorized without batteries, cereal box toy we were all expecting to be there in the bottom of the box in the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment